Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:25:55 -0700
From:      "Ryan Reedy" <rreedy@home.com>
To:        "'Chad K. Bisk'" <ckbisk@bigfoot.com>, <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ipfw and the GRE protocol

I have successfully setup up a pptp server behind ipfw/natd by
doing the following (on 3.2)

For NATD: use the -pptpalias a.b.c.d -redirect_port a.b.c.d:1723 1723
(this will only work for one machine on the internal network as far
as I can tell)

For IPFW:
$fwcmd add pass tcp from any to a.b.c.d 1723 setup
$fwcmd add pass tcp from any to any established
$fwcmd add pass gre from any to any

a.b.c.d is the internal ip address (and the divert rule is at the
top of the list).  gre is protocol 47, I think someone was missing
this in the protocols file earlier.  I've never tried to set this
up on any other version which may be causing other issues.  Also,
sometimes the client has to dial, get refused and then dial again
to get connected, but I haven't taken the time to see if this is a
NT or firewall issue.
Hope this helps!

-Ryan

> Andre Chang writes:
> > Was there any resolution to this issue? I was following the thread and
setup
> > a similar test enviroment using ipfw/natd using rules:
> >
> > $fwcmd add pass tcp from any to 192.168.10.10 1723 via fxp0
> > $fwcmd add pass log gre from any to any
>
> PPTP does not pass cleanly through address translation without
> specific support -- it's very analogous to the way active mode FTP
> works.
>
> Erik Salander is actually working on adding this support to libalias
> right now at Whistle but it won't be finished for a while.
>
> -Archie

I thought that was what natd -pptpalias a.b.c.d was for.  Although truth be
told I've never been able to get a PPTP client to connect through natd to a
PPTP server behind ipfw.

-- Chad