Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 95 10:57:03 WET
From:      Peter May <peter@osix.oz.au@osix.osix.oz.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: token ring anyone

Terry Lambert spoke thus:

> Well, I just got off the plane about 2 hours ago, but I can't let
> this one scrool by!

> It would be easier.  It also would not be sufficient.  The miniport
> driver is only a card driver.  Token ring needs a new LLC (which is
> what most of the stuff Garret was talking about boils down to).  You'd
> need to write that , card driver or not.

I have the doc for that, unfortunatly it's hard copy but should be available
from any local IBM office. If anyone is interested, the book number is:

	SC30-3374-02	Token Ring Network, Architecture Reference

	(Production Part number 39F9354)

This book covers:

	MAC Sub layer
	LLC Sub layer
	Network Management layer (Ring error monitor etc.)

It's the definitive reference to IBM's TR, and includes state machine
definitions for the various layers and functions.

I've had a good look at the CCITT code in the past for another project,
utilising this would probably not be worth the effort required - there are
large bits missing (not to mention the network managment stuff that's needed
as well.)

Peter May                           OSIX Pty Ltd
Director                            Level 1, 261-263 Pacific Highway
Technical Services                  North Sydney. NSW. Australia. 2060.

Home: +61-2-418-7656                Internet: peter@osix.oz.au
Work: +61-2-922-3999                Fax:  +61-2-922-3314