Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 16:05:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@FreeBSD.ORG>, Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, John LoVerso <loverso@infolibria.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mktemp() patch

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> dotfiles for example). I don't believe there's such a thing as a lowest
> common denominator of file system naming conventions - either a filesystem
> can support UFS names (perhaps through a translation later) or it's not
> suitable for running FreeBSD from.

There is the POSIX.1 portable filename character set: [A-Za-z._-] (from
which the hyphen shall not be used as the first character of a portable
filename).

There are the POSIX NAME_MAX and pathconf(path, _SC_NAME_MAX) test features.
NAME_MAX may be as low as 14 on POSIX systems.  It is a small step from
14 to 11 or 8 to support non-POSIX 8.3 filenames.  Very few programs
actually support systems with variable or short filenames.  patch(1) is
one.

Bruce