Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 03:23:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: new loader.rc stuff

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:

> > load kernel
> > load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config
> >
> > and then putting your pnp configuration line on /kernel.config (if
> > it is not there already).
>
> This is good info for current, right?  And I don't need to worry about
> "userconfig_script"?  What's load -t do (I don't need a man page, but at
> least a few words on the -t, please).

'-t' does basically two things. First of all, it selects right loading
procedure, e.g. just suck it in instead of interpreting it as an ELF
binary. The other thing is that it attaches a magic label to this piece of
code, so that later from within the kernel you can do
preload_search_by_type("my_lovely_magic_string") and it will return a
pointer to the right data, be it an executable code or a text or a
graphics image.

> The pnp line will be the only thing in /kernel.config, that's normal?

Yes. Since you're running -current, you should be able to use kget(8) as a
dset replacement to generate /kernel.config for you, based on the changes
in UserConfig.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------