Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:08:58 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make install error in fdp-primer

Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:26:41PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > I can do a make from /usr/doc now but an install dies in fdp-primer.
>
> Yeah, I know.  I'm fixing this at the moment.

Well, you did get me subscribed to this list :).

I joke that Murphy makes sure that if there are problems, I will
probably see a few of them. He doesn't let me see all of them because
that would make it too easy for the maintainers. He also saves the
really terrible ones for newbies. As Udo pointed out, the dependancies
don't appear to be quite right. It also seems to be a generic problems
from my end but I haven't tried everything. The GNU make is strange
looking to me, which keeps me from generating a diff. The Unix systems
I been on had make generators that took care of you. They don't
understand *docs*. For example, I could get past the *.gz problem by
doing a make as many times as there are files to be generated. The
*.gz files didn't appear to be tested for in the dependancies. Right
now the make files are too modular for me but I'll get used to that.

The make dependancy problem creates the dueling fingers syndrome where
I could do something but it would fail for someone else. The dueling
fingers are where you point at the other guy and say it is his problem
because it worked for you.

FWIW, I believe in the doc-proj. When your system breaks down, you
can't depend on an online connection for documentation. I cvsup my
docs more often that I do the ports. I also have programs that will
print HTML as the author intended and the browser's typically do a
terrible job.

Cheers,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg