Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 17:28:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tony Li <tli@jnx.com>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freefall.freebsd.org, Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
Subject:   Re: SMP -current merge

   I have tested the times reported by "time make" against a stopwatch,
   and they are accurate to within 0.5 second.  I was surprised to see
   increasingly better times beyond "-j 2".  I guess this is from
   parallelism on the disk accesses, ie when both CPUs are waiting for
   disk IO on a particular object build, there is another they can work
   on if jobs > 2.  The point of diminishing returns seems to be
   around 8 jobs.

That's entirely consistent with the behavior of other SMP systems (e.g.,
Solbournes).  The optimal point increases with your compute/IO ratio.  For
an 8 processor Solbourne, I normally used -j 11.

Note that the -l flag to Gnu Make is what one would _like_ to use to insure
a consistent load level.  Unfortunately, it's implementation doesn't
exhibit enough damping, so you get feast or famine.  ;-(

Tony