Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:12:42 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xchat2 - perl plugin makes xchat2 core dump

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:13:18 -0400
Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

<snip other discussion>

> Send me the script you're using, and let me know exactly the steps
> you're using.  I don't have any xchat Perl scripts.  Perhaps there is a
> problem with using the plug-in.
>
> Joe

I renamed my ~/.xchat2 directory and tried a clean startup.  And I
can load the perl.so module without crashing xchat2.  Note that the
warning about not being able to preload is still present, but it
does not crash:

   AutoLoad failed for:
   /usr/X11R6/lib/xchat/plugins/perl.so

   No xchat_plugin_init symbol; is this really an xchat plugin?

The perl script I was using was an fserve:

  http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~awerth/obsidian/

The version I was successfully using prior to the last ports update was:

  http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~awerth/obsidian/obsidian-0.9.2-pre1.tar.gz

I have tried other versions but with the same results.  I also
tried a couple of other perl scripts including the one that comes
with the distribution:

  /usr/ports/irc/xchat2/work/xchat-2.0.8/plugins/perl/sample_script.pl

I can load the perl.so module, but trying to use any perl script
causes the core dump.  So I'm not sure its the perl scripts.

Again, thanks for looking at this!

Best regards,

Randy