Date:      Mon, 29 May 2006 19:06:28 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 09:24:07AM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> ports/lang/gfortran
>
> >From the Makefile
>
> MASTERDIR=      ${.CURDIR}/../gcc41/
> PKGNAMESUFFIX=  -withfortran
> WITH_FORTRAN=   yes
>
> Thus, this gfortran will be the one that is bundled with GCC 4.1.1
> by the FSF foundation.  I know this version works (for some definition
> of work) on i386 and amd64 FreeBSD.  I don't have access to other
> archs for testing.

I'm saddened to see FORTRAN ripped out of the base system - and I'd
personally do the import work if it weren't for the the extra
dependencies GNU FORTRAN 9x requires.

But 'ports/lang/gfortran' is an abomination.  If we are to remove
FORTRAN from the base system - we need to start building it again with
the GCC port.  'ports/lang/gfortran' not only installs a FORTRAN compiler
(which is only about %5 of the GCC build time and size), but a C/C++/Java
compiler also.  The current split is quite annoying.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
A: Why is top-posting (putting a reply at the top of the message) frowned upon?