Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 22:22:04 +0800
From:      Greg Laslett <greg@abseil.com.au>
To:        "'Wes Peters'" <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Mapping a Virtual Serial device to a Terminal server port to behave like a real serial port

Subject: 	Mapping a Virtual Serial device to a Terminal server port to behave like a real serial port

Wes Peters writes:
> I need pretty much the same behavior.  I have a box with some modems
> and an ethernet somewhere on the LAN.  I need to be able to provide
> a pseudo-driver on a FreeBSD system that can connect to one of the
> modems over the network and behave like a tty on the UNIX system.
> I've looked at ptys, but don't yet grok how I would get ioctls for baud rate,
> &c. through the pty interface.

Going the other way would suit me just as well.

An open on /dev/stream0/tserver.foo.com/2005 would
set up a connection to tserver.foo.com on port 2005
which the listener on the terminal server could map
to a serial port.  If done right this device could live in
places like /etc/ttys or /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

Baud/Parity etc setting might be a bit much of an ask though.
We would really need something like LAT instead of
just socket/stream/telnet like behaviour.  Terminal servers
are pretty good at sorting port stuff out in any case.

Greg Laslett.       greg@abseil.com.au