Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:02:03 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Jason Victor <sloppyj123@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A novel idea....

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 05:16:02AM -0700, Jason Victor wrote:
> Hi. I have to have Windows on my computer, and will
> NOT spoil my perfectly tweaked Debian installation.
> What I was wondering was: is there a UMSDOS of Phat
> Linux-type thing for FreeBSD? I think this would be an
> interesting project to undertake. If there isn't one,
> and anyone wants to start it, tell me what a
> (relatively) newbie C programmer can do. I think it
> would increase migration to FreeBSD from Windows, as
> opposed to ONLY Linux.
>
> And something completely unrelated: do FreeBSD
> drivers/HOWTOs work on OpenBSD and NetBSD? And what
> are the REAL reasons that you guys prefer FreeBSD to
> Linux?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

If you ask me, playing around with FreeBSD is sort of pointless unless
you're prepared to trash your Debian install. If you're fully content
with Debian, why bother learning something new? There should be an
incentive to switch, or at least no vested interest in losing what you
have.

I too came from Debian, and was looking for better performance, more
stability, and a real UNIX. I was willing to switch because I had
nothing to lose by trashing Debian, so I just jockeyed partitions
around. Eventually, I grabbed a copy of GNU Parted, to begin resizing
partitions and such. This is what REALLY made me want to switch. Because
of lousy program design, the GNU tools (fdisk and parted, namely)
trashed my disk. Had intelligent beings created the software, I would
never have had to re-rip 3G of MP3s, and lose another 800M of MP3s
altogether.

The problem was twofold: first, GNU parted dynamically reassigns
partition labels when deleting partitions. For example, if I want to
delete partitions 5, 6, 7 and 8 but keep partition 9 on hda, it expects
me to delete partition 5, 4 times. Because this is a moronic way of
writing software, I tried to delete partitions 5-8. However, by the time
I tried to delete partition 7, the partition I wanted to keep (9) was
reasssigned to partition 7. Hence, I deleted the partition I wanted to
keep (Debian's /usr in this case), and kept partitions I didn't want.

The second problem was with GNU fdisk. You see, FreeBSD doesn't care
where partitions end, as long as it ends on a sector. GNU fdisk, on the
other hand, rounds all partitions up to a cylinder boundary. When I
moved some partitions around with parted, one of them didn't start on a
cylinder boundary. Thus, when I used GNU fdisk to create a new partition
in front of the moved one, the tail end of the new partition overwrote
the first few megabytes of my old one. Nice, eh?k

That pissed me off, so I didn't bother reinstalling Debian. I just
reinstalled FreeBSD, stealing the entire disk for the new operating
system. I won't use a system controlled by an organization and operating
system that uses software created by morons like the parted and fdisk
maintainers.

In short, these are the reasons I prefer FreeBSD: 1) The filesystem is
so much better than any linux filesystem, ReiserFS included. 2) The
system isn't made by idiots. 3) The system's development is controlled,
and the system is consistent because of that. 4) FreeBSD never trashed
my data. 5) It's more stable, the VMM system is FAR superior, and it
contains the reference-standard IP stack (even MS ripped this off). 6)
The license isn't a Communist-Hypocrite license claiming to be "Free"
but really is restrictive. 7) I hate RMS with a passion (remember, he's
the Communist hypocrite who claims his software is Free). 8) For a
firewall, ipfw blows the doors off of Linux's
iptables/ipchains/ipmasq/whatever. 9) I prefer the filesystem hierarchy.
10) Bugfixes and development happen much quicker. 11) None of those
shitty SVR4 bootscripts and symlinks; no abundance of pointless
runlevels. 12) Fxtv is better than xawtv. 13) The FreeBSD base system
behaves better than any Linux base system (e.g., the stuff in /usr/bin
and /bin). 14) Linux ABI implementation gives me the best of both
worlds. 15) Development is more conservative (e.g., I don't see a bunch
of EXPERIMENTAL warnings in /sys/i386/conf/LINT, like I do in Linux
kernels). 16) FreeBSD is lighter than Linux. 17) Separation. People in
the Debian crowd believe that every dpkg should put its files in /usr,
and only self-compiled stuff belongs in /usr/local. I disagree.
/usr/local is for "site-specific" stuff, which doesn't necessarily mean
self-built. To me, GNOME belongs in /usr/local, because it is site
specific, even if it comes in a dpkg. By site-specific, I mean anything
that is subject to change from box to box. Therefore, only the base
system belongs in /usr. With FreeBSD, my programs are divided logically.

There's 17 reasons for you. I'd come up with more, but I'd need to close
this vim session or open up another ssh connection to hunt around for
things I like. Besides, isn't this message too damn long?
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx