Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:42:50 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jason R. Mastaler" <jason@mastaler.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem manipulating ports programatically

--==_Exmh_-1374081712P

If memory serves me right, "Jason R. Mastaler" wrote:
> Suppose I want to write a simple program to look at what ports I
> currently have installed, and then re-make and re-install all of them.

Ummm.  pkg_version(1) was designed to do the first part.

You can look through the email archives for the freebsd-ports list to
see a number of email messages (frequently from me) as to why the second
part is really really hard (one-word summary: dependencies).

> This task would be much easier if:
>
> 1) I could somehow tell where an installed port came from:
>    (mutt = "mail/mutt", xv = "graphics/xv", etc..)

sobomax devised a way to do just this, which is almost in place now (we
need a commit to bsd.port.mk).

Even with this, automatic upgrading is still difficult.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1374081712P

--==_Exmh_-1374081712P--