Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:15:54 +0200
From:      "Jacques S." <offbyone@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ruby18 won't install, gets stuck in 'sread'

VANHULLEBUS Yvan wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:53:45PM +0200, Jacques S. wrote:
>> The problem I have now is that I cannot get the latest Ruby18 port will
>> not install in one of the FreeBSD systems I look after.
>>
>> Computer in question is a very old box: (i386/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron)
>> with very little memory. FreeBSD is version 5.5p8
>
> Hi.
>
> I recently (a few days ago) sent a pr about a problem with ruby: it
> uses *lots* of RAM to generate some "RDOC" during install, and it
> will cause some memory problems with old computers.
>
> Stanislav Sedov commited this week a new version of the port which has
> an option to disable doc generation, and now ruby installs quickly on
> small computers.
>

> Yvan.

Hello, Yvan.
Thanks for your quick and helpful response to my op.
Thanks, too, for already having taken constructive action to solve the
problem (and to Mr. Sedov for re-jigging the port in this way).

I just ran 'make install' of the current ruby18 port, on the computer
that was giving me trouble. I was able to choose the options appropriate
   for the computer in question, including "WITHOUT_RDOC=true", and the
up-to-date version of ruby18 installed successfully, in less than
half-a-minute.

Nice move.

--

Jacques