Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:21:52 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome2 Forks

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org> wro=
te:
> On 4/16/12 5:15 PM, Cy Schubert wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Given the state of Gnome3 and the general dislike for the new shell and
>> given that gnome-panel has been deprecated by our upline, would we be op=
en
>> to importing one of the Gnome2 forks, like Mate or Cinnamon, into our tr=
ee?

I would like to change our GNOME 2 to MATE, so that way we can put
GNOME 3 into ports tree quicker. Because there is nothing conflict to
GNOME 3. Also much less complicate to not add too many CONFLICTS all
over. Other day ago, it drove me crazy when I can't install some of
foo because I have GNOME 3 installed.

But.... There is a problem. Is MATE reliable? I don't know if it's
going to be last forever while GNOME 2 will be in GNOME ftp for very
long time.

>>>From what I've read on Phoronix today, Mate has renamed a number of file=
>> allowing it to coexist with Gnome3. However Cinnamon builds upon Gnome3
>> offering a Gnome2 interface. The article goes on to say that Cinnamon ha=
s a
>> lot more momentum than Mate. (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=3Dne=
ws_ite
>> m&px=3DMTA4ODI).
>>
>> Should we choose an option, my choice would be the most sustainable one
>> (Cinnamon), count me in as a volunteer. Talking about sustainability, on=
>> never knows which Open Source projects will establish themselves over th=
>> long haul. It may even be a good idea to watch both and decide where to
>> invest our effort when the choice becomes more clear.
>>
>> Thoughts anyone?
>>

> I think that's the idea. =A0I believe Mezz has been working on Cinnamon,
> and has had some good success.

http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/freebsd-cinnamon.png  :-)

Cinnamon has awful a lot of hardcore paths and I had to patch it a
lot. It's not exactly stable. When I visit to some specific website
and it will causing Cinnamon crash for some odd reason. Some of
applets are missing that I haven't check on it yet. Probably yet
another path patch or something else.

This weekend, I will try to clean up quick and put two ports in MC for
anyone can play with Cinnamon.

BTW: You will need nvidia-driver for it both gnome-shell and Cinnamon.
Without it, you will be in the fallback mode instead of
gnome-shell/Cinnamon.

Cheers,
Mezz

> I'll let him and kwm chime in.