Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 00:10:38 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        Tim Ryder <jawse@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support

> You'll do at least the basic kernel / buildworld / installworld thing,
> so installing 3.3-RELEASE and cvsup'ing to the latest 3.4-STABLE sources
> shouldn't take long.  I've done it at least twice.  Once for fun, and
> the other time because I trashed my installation while playing with that
> evil M$-thing called Windows '98.
>
> Having done the thing (from 3.3-RELEASE => 3.4-STABLE) I can assure you
> it won't take long.  At least the source update part.  The compilation
> of the `world' depends on your specific hardware setup, and I don't know
> how long it will take--not until I've seen it done at least once.

It's been my experience that minor upgrades (eg: 3.3 -> 3.4) are fairly
simple - however the major upgrades have proven to be a bit more
complicated.  I remember the upgrade from 2.X -> 3.0 and I can say it
wasn't pretty.  I finally broke down and did a clean install and
migrated everything back over.

Just my $0.02