Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 23:01:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Stephane Legrand <stephane@lituus.fr>
To:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Moving ahead with LDAP

Peter van Heusden writes:
 > After a frustrating meeting with a local PHB, I've decided to try and put
 > some more structured involvement into making FreeBSD easily manageable via
 > a browser-like UI (as discussed on freebsd-hackers 2 months ago under the
 > subject 'Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD'). As discussed then, LDAP
 > might be a good tool to store configuration info in.
 >
 > The existing port of the UMich LDAP server, is, however sadly inadaquate.
 > I have applied all patches I know of (Terry Lambert's collection from
 > Critical Angle and elsewhere, as well as the patches forthcoming from
 > freebsd-hackers), and created an updated port including the patches
 > (and notified past (and possible future) port maintainers) but that still
 > leaves UMich LDAP at LDAP v.2.
 >
 > Thus, I am interested in knowing who might want to work on moving ahead
 > with better LDAP support on FreeBSD, with the intention of putting
 > together and implementing a plan to get working LDAP v.3.
 >
 > So, who is interested?

Just my 2 eurocents but does a software like "cfengine"
(/usr/ports/sysutils/cfengine) could be more adapted than something
like LDAP ?

I quote the "cfengine" doc :

"Cfengine is a tool for setting up and maintaining BSD and
System-5-like operating system optionnally attached to a TCP/IP
network".

Stephane Legrand.