Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:29:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        eivind@bitbox.follo.net (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, don@PartsNow.com, perhaps@yes.no, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> > How can you seperate the telepathy theory from the God theory with this
> > set up?
> >
> > The researchers should have lied about the names, or given only number,
> > and/or not stated the symptom(s).
>
> This one is GOOD.  I'd have liked them to pray by number, with the
> number referencing a random list mapping to names stored in a computer
> somewhere, and with about half as many numbers as there were people.
>
> God is allseeing, rigth?  Then the complex mapping should be
> inconsequential.

Well, that's the problem.  You haven't really seperated the theories
with this particular test.  I should probably define my test more
rigorously, but frankly, without the results from an initial double
blind test as a basis, it's all a Gendanken experiment anyway.

You see, whether or not a numeric handle could be translated by God
really depends on what concept of God  you are talking about.  You
may be talking about a God who not quite Omnipotetent.  It depends on
whose definition you are using.

The only thing you are really testing is whether or not God is
Omnipotent.  If the prayer fails to have the effect it had with
names, then you haven't disproven God, only Omnipotence; or even
the inability to manipulate God with prayer on a consistent basis.
8-).

> OTOH, I don't claim to know God's mind (if he exists).  He might
> refuse to participate in such a complex experiment, thinking it shows
> a lack of faith.

Or he might be computer phobic.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org