Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:09:57 +0200
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Avoiding natd overhead

--Sig_ilQuS=KB0VqxiwlYuoXMJ/k

Chris Bowman <chrishome@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>   I see this question come up now and then on the lists, so, I'll share=20
> what I've learned about natd and performance!  First, if your running=20
> natd on a processor which supports more functions than just a standard=20
> 386,  ie a Pentium, Athlon, etc.  Then I've found compiling natd with=20
> make flags for that processor, and with O3 optimizations will make your=20
> jaw drop in comparison to the default installed version of natd.

I've learned that if you care about NAT overhead you just don't use natd.

I run two jailed Tor nodes on a Intel Celeron 2.40GHz. With PF disabled
and NAT done with natd, natd uses something between 20 and 30% of the
cpu time.

With PF (filtering, NAT, queueing) enabled I don't see a measurable
increase of cpu usage at all.

I haven't tried recompiling natd with customized flags,
but I doubt that it helps enough to overlook the context
switch penalty.

Fabian
--=20
http://www.fabiankeil.de/