Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:47:49 -0700
From:      Michael Bryan <fbsd-secure@ursine.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latency of security notifications

Mark.Andrews@nominum.com wrote:
> Michael Bryan wrote:
> >       The FreeBSD security team has been notified of a problem
> >       with XYZ.  An official security announcement will be forthcoming
> >       shortly with the recommended fixes.  In the meantime, please
> >       subscribe to and read the freebsd-security mailing list for the
> >       latest news on this issue.
>
>         This approach doesn't work.  I was not on the freebsd-security
>         list when the ntpd bugtraq message went out.  I found it
>         impossible to see the *recent* traffic on the list that I
>         had missed.
>
>         This is not to say that it can't be made to work.  Just that
>         we are not at a stage were this is the correct response.

Does this address your concern?  I see all recent list traffic here, including
your message:

http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/freebsd-security.html

The "early alert" message could easily include that URL, which would help
people find any recent discussion missed before subscribing.  (Or just
view via the web interface without even subscribing.)

Mail from previous weeks can be found here:

http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2001/freebsd-security/