Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2022 17:45:48 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd.conf and motd not consulted by ftpd

On 16/02/2022 15:29, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

> My ftp server ignores the /usr/local/etc/ftpd.conf.
>
> I installed the tnftpd server in my FreeBSD 13.0 system with
>
>   pkg add tnftpd
>
> uncommented the ftp line in inetd.conf and specified
> inetd_enable="YES" in rc.conf. The system now serves files, but
> doesn't seem to consult the optional ftpd.conf or motd files in
> /usr/local/etc. I also tried putting those files in /etc and
> specifying the location in inetd.conf with the -c option. No effect.
> The files are world readable. I don't see an error message in messages
> or xferlog - is there another location to look for messages? It seems
> like there would be someplace for ftpd to complain about the
> configuration files. Note that the problem probably isn't an error in
> ftpd.conf itself, since motd is also ignored.

My guess would be you're not using the ftp server you think you are. I
don't know what comes on 13, but there was always an ftpd as part of the
base system; the one used by inetd.

What I'm sure about is the motd system has changed in FreeBSD 13 - it
doesn't work the way it always used to. It doesn't read the file, it's
produced by a daemon for some reason: progress I think.

Regards, Frank.