Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:14:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
Cc:        Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: old version of PAM in 3.0-stable stopping Samba working?

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Chris Stenton wrote:

> Ok taking out the above as requested gives the following error
>
> Jan 26 19:53:55 buzzard smbd: no modules loaded for `samba' service
>
> Which I believe is coming from the PAM library. So, it looks like a PAM service
> is required for samba account management. I think I will take Matt Behrens
> route at the moment to get things up and running.

Hm...  I've been using samba 2.0 from the ports collection
without any difficulty.  I didn't add *any* samba service entries
in /etc/pam.conf so I expect samba has a fallback method in the
event of no appropriately configured PAM modules.  Its "PAM mode"
must require more than just an auth module...

-john