Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:59:12 -0800
From:      Scott Reese <sreese@codysbooks.com>
To:        Tim E Schafer <tim_schafer@fspworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

Tim E Schafer wrote:
> According to:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/index.html
>
> mod_jk should work with tomcat 4.1.x

Right.  That is correct.  Though the docs do say jk2 would be preferable
for Tomcat 4 as it has been re-tooled and is supposedly hotter stuff.

> Is the issue that the existing port for jk needs to be updated?

Yes.  The port specifically states that it is *only* for Tomcat 3 (at
least that's what the cvs log says on Fresh Ports) and uses the Tomcat 3
sources to build the module.

> This page:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/aphowto.html
>
> talks about how to setup apache 1.3.x with tomcat 4.1.x (among other
> combos)

Right.  I've been through this, and all the config stuff makes sense,
but there is no FreeBSD binary available and I'm not sure which other
one would be usable.  It also doesn't really tell someone like me who's
not very well versed in Ant or Make how to build the modules needed.

> One question I have is does using mod_jk require the use of a native JVM
> as opposed to one of the Linux ones?

It apparently requires the use of the native jdk 1.2 to build the
module.  The dance I had to go through to get Tomcat 3, mod_jk and
Apache built from ports and happy was to do 'portinstall mod_jk' and
that, in turn, pulled in all the native java stuff, installed tomcat 3
and apache.  Then, since I didn't want to be stuck using a 1.2 jdk (our
site needs a 1.4 jdk), I deinstalled tomcat, fiddled the makefile to say
USE_JAVA 1.4+.  I initially tried building mod_jk with the other
linux-sun-jdk's but it failed horribly so I had to kind of finagle (sp?)
it into working the way I wanted.  So far, though, mod_jk works fine
with linux-sun-jdk14 and Tomcat 3.  It's just the compilation that
apparently requires the native one.  However, I would really like to get
it all working with Tomcat 4.

-Scott