Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:04:39 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Lee <lee@unassemble.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File System Monitoring

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:50:01PM +0100, Lee wrote:
> At the moment I am trying out Postfix, but in the future I will probably try
> qmail, exim and even sendmail for a little nostalga (or a headache trying to
> figure out how the full-formed config files work).

> The thing is all these programs put files everywhere.  Want I want to be
> able to do is install the program, try it out for a bit and then remove it
> so I can try something else.

If you're up for doing something a bit trickier, consider building a
set up something like this:

	Follow the instructions in the jail(8) man page for setting up
	a second copy of your system.  This is just to act as a
	scratch system which you can trash with impunity, without
	rendering your whole system unusable.

	Within the jail, set up a baseline system as you want it, then
	use union mounts to overlay your jailed system with empty
	filesystems.  Now as you compile and install new stuff within
	the jail, the modifications will go into the overlay
	directory, which you can examine independantly.  Should you
	wish to wipe out your changes, simply clear out the overlay
	directory. See the mount_union(8) man page for details, but
	note this warning:

BUGS
     THIS FILESYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T WORK)
     AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT YOUR OWN
     RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK