Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:52:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        jesper@FreeBSD.ORG (Jesper Skriver)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), jason@rtfmconsult.com (jason andrade), hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RC3 uploaded for ia64

Jesper Skriver wrote:
 > On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 04:18:22PM -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
 > > The biggest part of the problem is that there are a lot of expanded
 > > source trees in the FTP space because they were always there, even
 > > though much better means exist for accessing those files.  These
 > > should simply be removed.
 >
 > Seconded, I'm looking at ftp.FreeBSD.org right now, the ftpd processes
 > using the most CPU time, is allways people mirroring the sources tree's
 > via ftp ...

Very true!  If I recall correctly, there's also an expanded
ports tree somewhere (under branches/-current, I think).

That's really not necessary, because there's a ports.tgz in
every snapshot and every release, and of course it can be
checked out from the repo, too.  And there's cvsweb, too.

There are now more than 70,000 files in the ports tree, and
all the mirror processes running through all of them are a
real pain.

It should be rm -rf'ed.

Just my 0.02 Euro.  :-)

Regards