Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:57:29 +0000
From:      John Long <codeblue@inbox.lv>
To:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting FreeBSD to Loongson 3A (RS780e)

> I mean one-off for 3A, because
>
> No.1, loongson 3 is for server application, and is fit for "the Power to
> Serve"

Well given none of the Loongson chips are server chips and none of the
current builds (AFAIK) support ECC RAM, and since Lemote is selling a laptop
with the 3A (not a server) I don't think the 3A is a server chip. And I
really don't care, because the Loongson works fine for a home server, even
the lowly 2F.

> No.2, loongson 3a is mips64r2 compatible just like XLP832 and Octeon 6330
>  which are already supported in FreeBSD/MIPS, and the chipset rs780e
> for 3a is a common

Ok, but OpenBSD and Debian already Loongson 2F so how hard can it be, given
the code already exists and in the case of OpenBSD comes with a good
license... and Loongson 2F is MIPS III compatible and runs 64 or 32 bit mode
executables. What does the "mips64r2" give you beyond MIPS III?

> hardware, we can easily porting freebsd to 3a.
> No.3, loongson 3a is the first cpu in Loongson 3, 3b is pin-to-pin
> compatible to 3a, if we got 3a brought up
> 3b is easy,

Support is already available in OpenBSD for 2E and 2F. Personally I am happy
with OpenBSD but I would also be happy to see as many OS as possible
supporting Loongson because I think MIPS is a good architecture and there
haven't been many general purpose machines made since SGI got out of the
workstation business. And Lemote is a good company...

--
                       _
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong