Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:01:11 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

> From: Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
> Date: 1999-04-28 15:45:03 -0700
>
> In article
> <19990429083638.B34373.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@gurney.reilly.home>
> you write:
> >On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 01:17:46PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> >> Since the overhead is minimal, and costs nothing at runtime, the
> >> default would be to build _with_ them.  Please focus your worry on
> >> things that actually matter to the server application. 8)
> >I have no argument about size costs.  I have no argument about
> >collecting per-program icons.  My argument is that the
> >executable is the wrong place to put them.
>
> Andrew is correct.
>
> For example... Apple Computer currently has a system like what was
proposed.
> Actually, it's a considerably better system, since it's
general-purpose,
> extensible, and user-modifiable if desired, but it's along the
same lines.

> They're dropping it, and going with what NeXTStEP uses, for MacOS
X -- each
> "application" is a directory, and has certain files in the
directory.  These
> files include the icons (multiple ones for multiple uses, of
course -- how is
> the original propronent of this bloat going to handle that?), the
executable,
> and all sorts of other metadata.

     I don't have much to add to the ongoing discussion in this
thread, but I have to note that this is just wrong.  We're not
dropping any  of the "general-purpose, extensible, user-modifiable"
aspects of Mac OS X.  We're changing how some of this is achieved,
but Apple's goal is *not* to replace Mac OS with Unix.  Our goal is
to maintain and improve what's proven effective in Mac OS, by
replacing some pieces of the system with others, with the aim of
improving stability and performance.  File forks, finder info, and
other file system extensions under discussion here, are not slated
for the slag heap.

Regards,

Justin

--