Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:22:16 -0800
From:      David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advanced Format Drive ?

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette
<rfg@tristatelogic.com>wrote:

> >You can then easily use newfs with the -f parameter:
> >
> >       newfs -U -f 4096 <device>
> >
> >This will make sure the proper fragment size will be applied
> >upon formatting the created partitions.
>
> OK.  Thanks.  I am guessing that this is really the one and probably
> _only_ thing that might really make any significant difference,
> performance-
> wise, right?  I mean if the partition is improperly aligned, that really
> only would affect reading and/or writing at the very beginning or at the
> very end of the partition, right?

No, I think it'll affect the whole thing, because every block will be
straddling two 4k sectors instead of filling one.  Then the drive has to
read and rewrite two sectors for every one block you write, instead of just
one, slowing things down to half speed.

Imagine running across the top of a picket fence...if you start half a
fencepost off things are going to be painful. ;)