Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 1995 22:42:36 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, root@io.cts.com
Subject:   Re: How to write -current bootcode to disk?

>> I'm not sure if the boot code is your only problem, but you can
>> rewrite it with
>>
>> 	disklabel -B [-b /usr/mdec/sdboot] [-s /usr/mdec/bootsd] sd0
>>
>> (The bracketed terms show the defaults.)
>>
>> For a wd-style disk:  s/sd/wd/g

>Does this look good to you?

>io[511]# disklabel -B wd0
>Warning, revolutions/minute 0
>super block size 0
>io[512]# _

Not te right.  `disklabel -B' only writes the boot blocks, not the label.
I think there has to be a label before the boot blocks can be written.
The zero values are because there are bogus values in the label.  The
slice code makes it a bit easier to get a bogus label because it
constructs a dummy label with too many zero values.  Ideally you
should be able to say `disklabel /dev/wd0 >foo' to get a prototype label
and then `disklabel -R -r wd0 foo' to apply it.

Bruce