Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 01:00:02 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        harry@hgac.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su, bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@violet.berkeley.edu, pas@tonesoft.com, terry@cs.weber.edu
Subject:   Re: dial up at > 9600 baud

>I and a number of local ISPs run 14K dialins supporting both user logins
>and SLIP without any such trouble.  Are your /etc/ttys entries using
>getty.std or getty.38400?

Neither of these exists.  There is nothing corresponding to getty.std
unless you count the ancient auto-bauding entries.  getty.38400 is
spelled std.38400.  The default (in /etc/ttys) is std.9600 for all
lines.  This should never be used for modern modems.  It should be
changed to avoid providing a bad example.  Use std.115200 if possible,
else std.57600 if possible, else std.38400...

>> AT command for Hayes.  There is nothing in the RS-232 lines that can cause
>> the modem to do much until some data is transmitted - Tx. I agree that the
>> settings should be taken from the sio driver first, especiallly the lock
>> device.  But someone, somewhere will want to reset the speed for a

The lock device only contains flags.  The default settings are strored in
the INITIAL-STATE device.

>> particuar getty.  On close, the port settings should probably be set back
>> to the initial driver settings.

This is done when the port is opened.  It doesn't matter what the settings
are when the port isn't being used.

Bruce