Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:26:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      LAJOIE@yalph2.physics.yale.edu
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sony cd driver

Does anyone know if the sony cd driver supports interrupts for these devices or does
it just use software polling?  I recently obtained an interface for my CDU-33A that
supports IRQ and under OS/2 the difference was pretty dramatic - multitaking
applications were able to continue even under heavy cd-rom access.

Anyway, I decided to just give it a shot ... I recompiled my kernel with the line

#device 	scd0	at isa? port 0x230 bio irq 9 vector scdintr

and that went fine.  On boot, scd0 was found at irq 9 and the drive works fine.
However, if I look in scd.c the routine scdintr is an empty routine. Is this
something about Unix device drivers that I just don't know?  Is the driver still
using software polling and my changes to the kernel config are having no effect?

Finally, is there a CD benchmark program for FreeBSD?

Thanks for the info...

John Lajoie
Yale University Physics Dept.
lajoie@yalph2.physics.yale.edu