Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 07:08:09 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wish List (was: Re: The /usr/bin/games bikeshed again)

In message <xzp1ysylm2v.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav
writes:
> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> writes:
> > Rdist was also discussed.  Rdist5, rdist6, and rsync should share the
> > same status.  Some of us have vendor and FreeBSD systems, use rdist5.
> > Others use Linux and FreeBSD system, use rdist6.  Others, like myself,
> > use rsync.  Too bad this discussion just fizzled out with no decision.
>
> I wouldn't be sorry to see the r* utilities (rsh, rcp, rmt...)
> disappear either.

Good idea.  I've advocated removing all non-encrypting services and
making them ports, like "r" commands, telnet, ftp, etc., because we
have much better solutions like SSH and apache which are not only more
secure but firewall friendly, however I won't go there, as it is yet
another bikeshed that gets too many people upset.

Someone should put together an plan, however that would get mired down
in the bikeshed syndrome.  (My apologies for the cynicism -- it's been
a bad year).

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC