Date:      Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:12:07 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com" <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>, Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>, "bug-followup@freebsd.org" <bug-followup@freebsd.org>, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@freebsd.org>, Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/158179: some packages do not fully honor -P dir option in	pkg_add(1)
References:  <4E20FADE.6060103@missouri.edu>	<DD9FE189-F4F2-4BE7-80C3-2951649D4291@lassitu.de>	<4E21B051.5040502@missouri.edu>	<CADLo83_xTcxOSAcQsirCXXX1er6ScoPFWv3qs_SHsM1NE4ixGg@mail.gmail.com>	<4E21B6A0.6060908@missouri.edu>	<CADLo83-yT%2BROkOoUYarRvOBvDYNaWbRMa2jcvT4xhsLgFnWOXg@mail.gmail.com>	<CADLo838Bk61kbXZFxWGqHwS93DiLd35W4UW=aBrOUpVNwp8m_g@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-Vmo=cAbVFQHY8GDONZc-GecTYhk3JdDSUC1r17hWJ3WGurw@mail.gmail.com>

current -> ports

On 07/16/2011 09:02 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Unless say, you're doing package installation outside of a
> chroot/jail, to populate something inside a chroot/jail before you
> start said chroot/jail.

I can see "-P" and "-p" working for those many ports which just put
programs in place.  But there are some ports that include installation
programs as part of the software.  And some ports (like octave) which
have a program which sometimes acts as an installation script, and
sometimes acts as a user program.  And sometimes those installation
programs install for the port, and sometimes they install for a subport.

If we are to continue using the "-P" and "-p" options, I suggest someone
does the following:

1.  Spell out very clearly its purpose - is it to populate a jail, for
example?

2.  Set up a computer that tests each package to see if it is "-P"
compliant and "-p" compliant.  By the way, each should be tested
separately.  For example, suppose latex-pgf is installed with the "-p"
option.  Then does it expect mktexlsr to be in the directory it is
installing into, or the regular directory?  mktexlsr is installed by a
dependency, so the package needs to know where to find it.  It would
seem to me that you need a PKG_LOCALBASE variable as well as a
PKG_PREFIX variable, so that the port knows where to find these
installation programs.

3.  Add a flag to ports that allow the port maintainer to mark the port
"-p" non-compliant and "-P" non-compliant.

The other possibility is to add to the man page of pkg_add saying that
there is a good chance the "-p" and "-P" options don't work properly.
Some people have clearly indicated that they like and use these options,
so let's keep them happy too, and not delete it altogether.

Stephen