Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2012 05:08:55 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller230@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>, Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>, Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Why Clang?

from David Naylor:

> I am the one who sends these persistent messages.  Some users of my packages
> reported that wine didn't run due to a clang compiled world.  I never verified
> them (although I got multiple reports).  With the updates to clang it may have
> also been corrected.

> I attributed the problem to clang miscompiling a library in base used by wine
> and Volodymyr, I think, confirms this:

I only have other people's experience on this issue, need to test this, but want to keep a GCC-compiled world for now, at least for a production system.

This would not stop me from trying Clang on an experimental/testing installation, such as HEAD, where the basic intent is development.

>From Volodymyr Kostyrko:

> Thomas Mueller wrote:
> >Now one concern is wine not working when Clang is used to "make buildworld".

> For me I'm just waiting on toolchain stabilization as both this one and
> (open|libre)office fail because of libgcc_s compiled with clang on amd64.

I guess that's why I want to keep at least one GCC-compiled world for now.

Like it or not, Linux is by far the leading open-source OS, and most of the ports are originally developed with mainly Linux in mind.

Linux software development is GCC-centric, I don't know if there is any work with Clang in Linux.

Now how will I know whether GCC or Clang is the default compiler for building the world and kernel, and for ports?

Not that I want to avoid Clang, just don't want to be caught by surprise.

Tom