Date:      Sun, 23 Oct 2016 21:31:41 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Gerard Seibert <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it time to retire the scanner ?

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 646, Issue 9, Message: 2
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 13:27:13 +0000 Gerard Seibert <carmel_ny@outlook.com> wrote:
 > On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 12:38:43 +0000, Manish Jain stated:
 >
 > > But ideally I would like everything working under FreeBSD natively -
 > > I do not want my hardware to be dependent on Redmond at all.
 >
 > That is probably not going to happen anytime soon. WIFI is a great
 > example. Support for the 802.11n protocol is hard to find. Support for
 > those listed below is virtually nonexistent.
 >
 > 802.11ac

Ah, Jerry/Carmel, I was wondering when you'd resume your FreeBSD bashing
and Windows promotion, after a period of feigning some genuine interest.

One has to assume that you haven't had any sort of proper look through
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/hardware.html#wlan

Plenty of 11n support these days, and a bit of 11ac.  Personally I had
to unsubscribe from freebsd-wireless@ this year, the weight of traffic
especially commit messages for new and updated drivers was overwhelming.

It's not all just Adrian these days either, with several new committers,
though of course it's likely that Microsoft has dozens of people working
on wireless, most probably not on a voluntary basis.

 > 802.11ad
 > 802.11af
 > 802.11ah
 > 802.11ai
 > 802.11aj
 > 802.11aq
 > 802.11ax
 > 802.11ay
 >
 > True, many of them are not standard yet, but even when they become
 > mainstream, FreeBSD will probably lag far behind other systems in
 > supporting them.

Uh huh.  It's refreshing seeing you back in role, and back on message!

 > I have a Win10 machine that I use because it supports my printers,
 > scanners, etcetera. In simple terms, "It Just Works".

All you need to explain is why you continue to purport to use FreeBSD at
all, when Windows does everything you need?  It's a real mystery, unless
you achieve some sort of reward or incentive to carry on sniping, mmm?

 > WinXP is extremely old, and drivers written that will work reliable on
 > that OS are going to become harder to find. That is why I used the free
 > update path to Win10 last year. It allows me to run peripherals that
 > don't run well, it at all, under FreeBSD. Personally, I got sick and
 > tired of purchasing quality printers, scanners, etcetera only to find
 > that they either would not function or functioned in a degraded fashion.

And yet you're still here, sick and tired and all.  Mysterious indeed ..

cheers, Ian