Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:49:33 +1200
From:      "Craig Harding" <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Video Stupidity (was RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit")

David Schwartz wrote:

> > >  Both VHS and Beta exceed broadcast quality.
> >
> > Ha ha.
>
>  I can cite references, but it seems I'm just wasting my time. Let
>  me ask
> you a common sense version of this -- why does everyone turn the
> quality all the way down on their VCRs? If we're so concerned about
> picture quality and recoding time doesn't matter as much, you would
> have to explain it by us all being under some sort of mind control.

If you're trying to say that consumers don't care about video quality
versus other considerations  (in my experience they clearly don't),
then I'm not arguing with you.

If you're trying to say that both VHS and Betamax (please don't
abbreviate to Beta as it gets us confused with Sony's professional
formats Betacam, Betacam SP, Betacam SX, and Digital Betacam, the
former 2 or 3 of which are also commonly abbreviated to just "Beta")
have sufficient quality for off-air recording of television
broadcasts for most consumers, then I'm not arguing with you.

If you're still trying to say that VHS and Betamax are of a standard
that exceeds broadcast quality by any measure (technical, subjective)
then you're an ignorant fool and I shouldn't really bother arguing
with you.

				-- C.
--
Craig Harding                crh@outpost.co.nz    "I don't know about God, I