Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:48:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Michael Beckmann <beckmann@nacamar.de>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.1

We're running bind 8.1 on releng_2_2 without too many problems.  I believe
that there is a known memory leak problem that will be fixed in 8.1.1.  It
should be imported into -current, but unlike other upgrades (eg. sendmail)
this one requires a complete conversion of your configuration files
(i.e.named.boot to named.conf) which has a different file format.
Conversion can be trivial or more involved depending on your
configuration.  I also found that 8.1 was a little more picky about the
zone files; I had to clean up something involving comments or whitespace
in my SOA records but I can't remember what it was now :)

8.1.1. is being actively developed and I expect that a release is imminent
by the end of the month.

For people who want to use the latest/greatest bind/dhcpd/sendmail before
they're imported into freebsd, I'd recommend maintaining your own separate
CVS tree with these utilities, and installing them into a private
bin/sbin/etc directory tree.  I've been doing that for a while now and it
frees me to track other changes in freebsd while relying on private copies
of these critical programs.

-Chris