Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 01:43:45 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the place of vi

Hi

This is a thread that some people want killed, but as far as I can
see they are the same people who want to keep vi in /usr/bin; given
that there are still a significant number of people, myself included,
who strongly disagree with this view and given that the issues
haven't been thrashed out fully I don't think we should kill it
just yet.

Several points have been made against moving vi to /bin, I don't
think any are valid:

a) just mount /usr and use it -- jb@cimlogic.com.au

Well, it's already been pointed out that this is not viable if /usr
is broken or corrupted.  I think the point is that if you can get
the system to mount the root partition then you should have a
useable editor.

b) just make it yourself --  mcdougall@ameritech.net

This is always an option with any UNIX given the free availability
of nvi, vim, etc., however it's too easy to forget to do.  I believe
it's the kind of thing that the maintainers of FreeBSD should look
out for, if you want to ship a reliable system then you want to
reduce the amount of customisation needed to make it foolproof.

I remember that when I first started using FreeBSD one thing that
struck me was that the people who designed the system always seemed
to be one step ahead of me,  when I went to do something it seemed
that someone had already anticipated my requirement and done it
for me, or made it easy for me to do.  This is a big plus for
FreeBSD.  The only time I got let down was when I needed /bin/vi,
I had always assumed you guys had put it there, and boy was I
surprised when I found out you hadn't :)

Corollary to Murphy's law: The machine you forget to install a
statically linked /bin/vi on is the one you need it on most.

c) it's too big -- chuckr@glue.umd.edu

The stripped statically linked binary from -stable is only 466944
bytes, 230238 bytes more than the dynamically linked version - is
that big? Chuck made the point that people who run stripped down
systems mightn't want this ``bloat''.  Others have made the point
that people who think they need a static vi should know what they
are doing and should therefore make it themselves.  Might I suggest
that people running stripped down systems know more about what they
are doing than the average admin who expects a static vi and
therefore they should be the ones who have to move it from /bin
if/when it causes them grief.

BTW I don't think Matther was proposing to put vi on the default
boot floppy, just in the default /bin distribution.

d) you would need to move termcap too -- winter@jurai.net

This is not true, given that you are only going to be in single
user mode at the console when in this kind of situation simply
executing something like:

TERM=cons25 tset -s > /etc/termcap.cons25
TERM=pcvt25 tset -s > /etc/termcap.pcvt25

during make install of vi would suffice, then to setup your
environment before editing:

eval `cat /etc/termcap.mytermtype`

f) learn to use ed -- helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, etc

In an ideal world disks wouldn't crash, power would be uninterruptible,
software wouldn't have bugs, etc.  All the more reason to learn
ed, right?  Well, people don't do this, after all, we don't live
in an ideal world. :)  Many of the UNIX books which I have seen
assume that when the chips are down, you still have vi on your
side.  The prevailing attitude seems to be:  love it or hate it --
knowing vi could save your bacon.  I sure as hell don't want to
promote ed to this role.  System administrators have enough to do
without learning that (other?) insanely archaic editor, especially when
their system just went blam, just because someone thought 400K
extra on / was such a burden.

If I was proposing putting emacs, joe, nedit, vim, pico, or ee on /
I could understand the argument that a good system administrator
should be able to get by without these tools, but we're talking
about cranky old bog-standard-since-197X vi here!  Surely one of
the aims of the FreeBSD project is to make the system as easy to
use as possible for all,  including those system administrators
who don't happen to know ed?  (Yes yes, those inferior, spineless,
clueless dweebs who don't own an "I can use ed" tshirt)

What have you got to lose by putting vi in /bin? 400K of space on
your root partition?  Gimme a break!

Niall

--
Niall Smart.  Microsoft Suck.  See www.freebsd.org for details.
echo "#define if(x) if(!(x))" >> /usr/include/stdio.h