Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:02:32 +0700 (NOVST)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   NEC 260 CDROM detection under FreeBSD 4.0-RELESE/STABLE

Hello!

I've been using FreeBSD 3.4 for quite a while, and my CDROM, being quite
old and weird (NEC 260 model) was detected by both BIOS and FreeBSD.

Recently, I've decided to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.0, and also changed my
motherboad, now it is ASUS TXP4, was latest version of award bios, and now
it doesn't find my CDROM (I have two harddrives, both partitioned in
dedicated mode, one (bootable for FreeBSD) is master with CDROM being
slave on first contoller, another is singe/master on the second; I've
tried moving them around, but it didn't help).  I've even tried attaching
CDROM on my sound card's IDE conntector, still unsuccessfully).

The reason why I am writing this, because when I boot Linux (from
boot/rescue diskettes, for instance), it definitely does find my CDROM!

Computer specs: genuine intel Pentium 200 MMX, 64M RAM, FreeBSD 4.0,
NE2000-compatible non-PnP ISA NIC on irq 5, MM ISP 16 sound card (ISA
non-PnP) on irq 11, USB IRQ 12, 2 coms, 1 lpt, s3 virge dx/gx on irq
10, two floppy frives on irq 6.  I know most of this is useless, but
still, maybe someone will notice some conflicts; I still doubt though.

Here's parts of both dmesg's:

FreeBSD:
atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 1.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 3079MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL SE3.2A> [6256/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
ad1: 4111MB <ST34310A> [8354/16/63] at ata1-master using UDMA33
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad1s1a

Linux:
ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 9
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL SE3.2A, 3079MB w/80kB Cache, CHS=702/128/63, UDMA
hdb: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:260, ATAPI cdrom or floppy?, assuming CDROM drive
hdc: ST34310A, 4111MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=8354/16/63, UDMA
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

My thoughts would be, maybe FreeBSD relies on BIOS here, which doesn't
detect CDROM, while Linux detects it without BIOS.  So, maybe there is a
way to say explicitly to FreeBSD that I have CDROM with exact parameters?

Any help regarding this subject will be greatly appreciated.

P.S.  Sorry for cross-posting, and please reply directly, since I am not
the member of the maillists.

Cheers,

  /* Alexey N. Dokuchaev, more commonly   |                                */
  /* known as DAN Fe                      | mailto:danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru   */
  /*                                      | ICQ UIN: 38934845              */
  /* Novosibirsk State University         | http://inet.ssc.nsu.ru/~danfe/ */
  /* Scientific Study Center Computer Lab |                                */

		[Team Assembler] [Team BSD] [Team DooM] [Team Quake]

Microsoft:	Where do you want to go today?
Linux:		Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD:	Are you guys coming or what?

Microsoft:	What are we going to rip off today and claim as our own?

Microsoft:	Where do you want to be taken today?