Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 1995 09:57:11 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <jbeukema@HK.Super.NET>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@jsdinc.root.com>
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Speed increase at CTM src-cur 304?

On Mon, 6 Feb 1995, John S. Dyson wrote:

> >    We have been making ongoing improvements to the VM system and other areas
> > of the kernel that will improve its overall performance - some of the recent
> > ones have been quite significant. Credit for these improvements goes mostly to
> > John Dyson, a small amount to me, and to Soren Schmidt who has additionally
> > improved syscons performance by a factor of 5 in most cases.
> >
> > -DG
> >

> David, whether congratulations or flames are in order, if you and I did not
> work well together, we would not be making nearly as much progress as
> we have been.
>
> Gang, There is very much a synergy between the ways that DG and
> I work together (even though we have never met.)  David comes up with
> many (and sometimes most) of the ideas that we implement, and I code
> most of the VM stuff.  But as professional programmers know, that coding
> is a small part of the effort, and it is difficult to distinguish between
> what DG has come up with and what I have done myself.
>
> So... if this stuff breaks, it is your fault too, David... :-) (much humor
> implied here.)
>
> John
> dyson@root.com

Excuse my ignorance but what is the current relationship between FreeBSD
and BSD4.4 lite?  That is, are these improvements, bug fixes to vm etc. a)
also fixes to BSD4.4 lite, b) strictly hardware dependent and therefore
separate, c) co-ordinated with BSD4.4 or d) generating one more new flavor
of BSD?
jbuekema