Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 02:00:28 -0700
From:      "Octavian Hornoiu" <liquid_net@usa.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Regarding NTFS with FreeBSD

As far as I know... There are only a small handful of actual products
that can write to NTFS partitions and, even then, only with minimal
functionality.  There are a lot of issues involved in writing to NTFS
partitions and I remember reading an article in which the Linux
developer who wrote one of the original drivers to read NTFS was quoted
as saying that it would not happen anytime soon.  Microsoft is great at
making things very obscure and hard to inter-operate with and they have
changed the NTFS structure several times, most notably with the change
from NT4 to windows 2000.

There is one small program that can write to NTFS partitions that I know
of but only onto files that are already existing and never exceeding the
original size of the file... It's called NTFS DOS and, like the name
implies, it only works as a "rescue" type of option for boot diskettes.
Sorry to dissapoint but I've looked into this option multiple times as I
work at a place with many NT servers and I've needed to mount them under
Unix before.

Octavian