Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:21:39 -0400
From:      Jeremy Faulkner <gldisater@gldis.ca>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, recorde@kirtland.cc.mi.us
Subject:   Re: os

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 05:40:46PM -0400, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Patricia Earlene Record wrote:
> > I was wondering. I am a single mother of three trying to find a new
> > operating system for my laptop to free up my computer for my children.
> > However, i am unable to purchase operating software because it is just to
> > expensive and i cant afford to. I was reading your web site and was
> > wondering if you had a free version of this on 3.5 floppy disks. My
> > laptop only has floppy. if you could help please let me know. Thanks Earlene
>
> Your laptop didn't come with an OS?  FreeBSD does have free bootable
> floppies but these are used only in preparation for installing the whole
> (or minimal) set of files for the OS over FTP.  Many here would recommend
> you have high bandwidth Internet (fast connection) if you plan to do so.
>
> --
> Peter Leftwich
> President & Founder
> Video2Video Services
> Box 13692, La Jolla, CA, 92039 USA
> +1-413-403-9555

FreeBSD can be installed from floppies. It's an unpleasant procedure to get
a minimal install, but it can be done. I would recommend the use of a PLIP or
SLIP installation instead, but this would require another system to act as a
server.  Earlene, I'm going to guess that you don't have a lot of experience
with UNIX-like operating system. I would recommend that you attempt to find a
user group near you, they will be able to assist you. Many such groups have
"Installathons" to assist/perform installations for people interested in using
freely available UNIX-like operating systems.

--
Jeremy Faulkner			http://www.gldis.ca