Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 14:37:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alex@fa.tdktca.com (Alex Nash)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, dunn@harborcom.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: async flag to mount(8)

> > Matt Day (next cubicle over from mine) has implemented soft updates,
> > though without some of my FS changes, they can not be integrated
> > into FreeBSD.
> >
> > An FS using soft updates operates within ~5% of memory speed, according
> > to the Ganger/Patt paper from the University of Michigan.
> >
> > This is faster than pure async because of write gathering during the
> > soft update timer period.
> >
> > Async sucks.  Get over it.
>
> So async only sucks *when* we get your patches.  I'm sure Poul can't
> wait! :)

When you get the Lite2 integration so my patches can be accepted,
when you get my patches,
when you get Matt's patches.

But actually, "sucks" is like "phloegisten"; something has "sucksness"
or it doesn't.  Async mounts have "sucksness", and the amount of
"sucksness" is independent of the situation.  Red is red independent
of having blue to compare it to.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---