Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 95 09:55:29 CDT
From:      lists@tar.com (Richard Seaman, Jr)
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stabikity/Usability of 2.0.5R

On Tue, 4 Jul 95 19:22:18 MDT you wrote:

>On another note, several machines haven't been tested for stability
>because 2.0.5R simply will not install (and neither will subsequent
>snapshots).
>
>The hardware in question is running WD 1007 ESDI controllers.  The
>"perfect media" jumper is off.

[snip]

>The upshot is that it's totally uninstallable, even using the "put
>a DOS partition on it" workaround, and modifying the BIOS geometry
>to match the real geometry (or letting it use its fictional geometry
>it comes up with).
>
>Anyone else have a machine with a WD1007 that they installed instead
>of upgraded from an existing (non-2.0.5R: working) installation?

I had an UltraStor Ultra 12F ESDI controller with a 328MB older Imprimis
EDSI drive that had all the 2.0+ snap releases issued in 1995 installed
on it, one after the other, without a hitch.  Until 2.0.5R.  I could get
the install to appear to work, but on reboot I would either get the
missing operating system message, or when the boot manager was install,
it would just never boot the OS.  I worked on it for over 24 hours, assuming
I just had the disk geometry messed up somehow, which might still have
been the only problem.  But, it was frustrating that what had worked
without a hitch before was now such a major problem.

In any case, I gave up and bought an IDE controller and drive, and the
intall went without a hitch.  Since I had planned to do this eventually,
I wasn't all that upset.  I also noticed that once I got the 2.0.5R installed
there were additional notes on ESDI install that weren't contained in the
boot documents.  Maybe this would have helped me, but it didn't help at
the time since I didn't know it existed.

Dick

Richard Seaman, Jr.         dick@tar.com
5182 North Maple Lane       Dick@Seaman.Chenequa.WI.US
Chenequa, WI 53058          voice: 414-367-5450
                            fax:   414-367-5852