Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 13:32:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD, Macs, ISDN, PPP, pop3...

How do,

Company I'm currently working for has an internal Mac network using
Etherlink to keep everything sweet. They use a few modems with MacTCP
and MacPPP to dial up to an Internet provider, run Netscape and the
like, and get e-mail using Eudora.

They want to get more involved on the 'net, to the tune of getting a
permanent link (ISDN line) to an Internet Service Provider, and using
some form of Unix box...

My current plan is to take a PC with 16Mb+ main memory, 1Gb SCSI disk
and put FreeBSD (2.OR or 2.0.5R) on it. Add in one ISDN card and one
network card.

As I understand it, the PC can then run a PPP client to connect to the
ISP over the ISDN line. The PC can then also run a PPP server to allow
the Macs to connect to it. All incoming e-mail will be stored on the PC,
with the Macs using Pop3 to retrieve it. The PC will firewall off the
rest of the company network from the Internet, and will proxy things
like WWW requests.

Anyone know how feasible this is using FreeBSD? Any gotchas that are
going to jump up and bite me at some point in time? Is anyone doing
anything similar at the moment?

=-[Opinion, n: See the above text for an example]=-=[Kibo #: e]-[RYRYRY]=-=
=-[The Silly Sod Society: To perfect and to swerve]=-[beable]-=[TP U BG]=-=
Finagle's Creed:
        Science is true.  Don't be misled by facts.