Date:      22 Apr 2001 02:26:42 +0200
From:      Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Duplicating Audio CDs

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx> writes:

Andrew> SCSI emulation is not the solution. If you want to use
Andrew> cdrecord, push the developers to support ATAPI hardware.

Yes, that's a solution too but it seems that the cdrecord developers
ask themselves for a SCSI emulation on FreeBSD. So a endless cycle is
beginning. In fact, it seems that the cdrecord developpers cannot be
aware of all the subtelties of the different OS and that it's very
difficult for them to provide a common ATAPI interface (as far it
could be done). That's not an issue for SCSI, if i believe what i read.

Andrew> I've never been fond of having hardware masquerade as
Andrew> something else.

I spoke about masquerade because some people complains about lack of
cdrecord under FreeBSD with ATAPI devices. Sure, the solution is to
buy SCSI devices but, sure also, ATAPI devices are cheaper and more
common on low end boxes. Masquerading don't hurt me in such a
situation: i use it every day to print postscript on my non postcript
printer (even if it's only a matter of translation).

Andrew> The only reason I used SCSI emulation in Linux is because
Andrew> nobody over there has their act together enough to make an
Andrew> ATAPI writing program.

I'm very happy with burncd, but i think it's a pity to not be able to
use such a well known program as cdrecord with FreeBSD as it's
possible with other OS, that's all: i'm not a FreeBSD developer so i
have to respect the team choice. I don't know if cdrecord with
SCSI-emulation under Linux is better or not than burncd under FreeBSD
but i never heard complains about that.
--
Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1291262516 secondes.