Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:46:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, mellon@fugue.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swapped ethertype in BPF output?

>  > I'd just as well see it changed to whatever people think is "correct".
>
> For `consistency', I'd think that userland should see it in network
> order, where `consistency' is `consistency with other systems and with
> everything else in the packet'.

Depends.  Are you imposing meaning on the bytes by swapping them,
and is that meaning potentially incorrect (ie: can I get packets
where the meaning isn't the same, and therefore swapping is incorrect?).

I think that the commited change to move the assumption above the BPF
layer was done to support one of the AppleTalk servers (can't remember
which one, off the top of my head) because you could not assume that
the packet was Etherne_II vs. 802.2 vs. 802.3.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.