Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:51:18 +0200
From:      Mitja Horvat <mitja.horvat@hermes.si>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: makecontext & friends ?

Hi,

> Sure, it can. See my GNU Portable Threads under
> http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/. We have a port under devel/pth,
> too. It bases its user-land threads on ucontext(3) if available or on
> setjmp(3)'s jmp_buf, etc. All without any assembler things. For details
> read my USENIX paper under http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/rse-pmt.ps.

I read your paper and it describes the very same technique I was planning
to implement, but the trick with sigaltstack() seems very ugly to me. That's
why I poked around Solaris' man pages and found ucontext(3) functions. Anyway
since you already have done all the work, it's pointless for me to reinvent the
wheel. Besides this, GNU Pth is certainly more tested than my solution would
ever be. Well, next time I should check for GNU stuff before I plan doing something.

> If you need maximum portability, then GNU Pth certainly is an option for
> you.

I will definitely use it. Thank you for this great software... !

Regards,
Mitja