Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 1997 08:35:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org, mobile@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM ThinkPad 755CX MWave modem

> a ibm thinkpad 755cx has an mwave modem built-in.  the modem is dsp based.
> in order to use procomm or kermit or another dialer program with the modem,
> an mwave modem utility must be run (in windows) to "configure" the dsp
> for modem operation (the dsp is also used for sound blaster emulation).
>
> does FreeBSD support this modem?  anyone succeeded in getting it working?

The modem requires a DOS-mode device in order to act as a modem, so I
suspect you won't get it working unless you can drag the programming
information out of IBM.  I haven't heard of *any* drivers working on the
755CX, and I can't even get X to work in 800x600 mode under any of the
free *nices on it.  If you have better luck let me know, since that's
what stopping me from switching to that box as my main laptop.

Nate