Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2016 20:47:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Kurt Lidl <lidl@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing NetBSD's blacklist project into FreeBSD

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016, Kurt Lidl wrote:

> Greetings all -
>
> This is just a quick note to alert the FreeBSD development community
> that I've posted a review for the import of the NetBSD "blacklist"
> project into FreeBSD.
>
> The reviews for the basic import and hookup of the blacklist system
> into the build process are here:
>
> 	https://reviews.freebsd.org/D5912
> 	https://reviews.freebsd.org/D5913
>
> The rational behind the system is given in the first referenced
> review, which is Christos Zoulas' presentation at vBSDcon 2015.

The first review has a link to the video:
https://youtu.be/fuuf8G28mjs

> I think the system is a very reasonable framework to allow for
> real-time notification of attacks, feeding to a single daemon
> process, which maintains a persistent on-disk database. The daemon
> can then invoke a helper script to affect packet filtering changes
> as needed. It's driven from a text configuration file, and it is
> pretty easy to add support to more programs in the future.
>
> Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to any discussion
> about the merits of the system and the patches to implement it
> in FreeBSD.

After seeing that review yesterday and thinking it sounded interesting,
I watched the video.  After looking at today's maillog, I have gone from
just being interested to really wanting it.  And a patch for sendmail to
use it.

Thank you for working on this!