Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2012 18:02:55 -0800
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPC DRM graphics testing

On 12/01/12 08:26, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> On 30.11.12 07:43, matt wrote:

>>> Thanks for doing these tests! I wanted to point out that a bug in the
>>> AGP driver cannot be ruled out. It's fairly simple but never really
>>> got tested until quite recently when you started looking at this and
>>> drm began working.
>>> -Nathan
>> Puzzles are fun, and if the result is compiz on a powermac all the
>> better :).
>>
>> Well, it at least works fine on the G5 agp bridge. So if it is an AGP
>> issue, it's a quirk in Uninorth-2 possiby. It'd be interesting to see if
>> drm was OK on pci macs. BusType "PCI" didn't fix Xorg, but I'm not sure
>> that means that agp is ok?
>>
>> Jung-uk Kim had a little program to test the gart, but unfortunately
>> it's heavy on the ia32 assembly.
>>
>> Some other things I have yet to try are to disable one processor and to
>> swap everything to the other MDD.
>> I am still trying to figure out what the meaning of drm returning 35
>> over and over might be as well.
>
> I quess I'm now in the same boat as you :) With a mac mini which has a
> "agp0: <Apple UniNorth 2 AGP Bridge>" bridge.
>
> Starting X is ok, but as soon as I launch glxgears I get a complete
> freeze. Looking in some sources (lnx, drivers/char/agp) gives a hint
> that there are some distinctions between uninorth revs. Although mine is
> not mentioned.
>
> Looking around.
>
> Andreas

I have also seen those, there are some notes in the .h headers too. I
just rebuilt the mdd system from scratch, due to the possible cvsup
security issue...no change.

At least we are handling the 2x reset quirk already...they just handle
it differently obviously.
The gart invalidation/flush notes are interesting (invalidate then reset
then invalidate then use), but my reading of our agp code indicates
we're handling that?
I do see some stuff that is U3 specific we do not do (I think) but
ironically U3 is working for us. :)
It's quite puzzling but I haven't given it an in depth look...Darwin
should be a good source as well.

There are old references to lin KMS needing a fix for pci config space
due to endian issues, which may have nothing to do with us at all, and
there are some notes that some registers are big endian and others are
little (?!).

Still investigating, but I think that your test indicates a quirk with
Uninorth-2 (and possibly earlier revisions), as this is also my agp bridge.

Thanks,

Matt