Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:30:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Intuitive Design Archive <archive@in-design.com>
Cc:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, ache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggested change to apache port

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Intuitive Design Archive wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, James FitzGibbon wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> > > directory to exist using the BUILD_DEPENDS stuff, which would get the
> > > fetch/patch/whatever done for you.  That part at least is simpler now
> > > that that used in those old tcl/tk things, which used to do cd's and
> > > makes (I found that real ugly!)
> >
> > But wouldn't build depends go into ${PORTSDIR}/www/apache and do a make
> > install ?  If someone had made modifications to their webserver and then
> > made mod_perl, they'd end up with an httpd binary containing just mod_perl
> > and not their previous configured modules.
> >
> > Do we have to admit that the existing ports system doesn't lend itself to
> > people who stray from the baseline ports ?
>
> I always thought that was both the attraction and disadvantage to ports.
> Although you will always get a easily build program for your system, the
> customizing step is left completely up to the person who ports the
> software.  For me anything that is mission critical, I build my self on
> my machine and test it with several different combinations.  Isn't that
> the idea or getting the src after all?

You and I do that, but what we are providing here for a lot of people is
entre into building from sources witout having to climb the same learning
curve you and I climbed, and also convenience for those who know how to
do it, but don't have the time to always get fancy.  That lst, the time
requirement, I'm unfortunately really aware of.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |